Monday, February 15, 2016

Grand County's Past Resides at Museum of Moab.

Museum of Moab

118 East Center Street
Moab, Utah, 84532

Phone: (435) 259-7985


One block east of the intersection of Center and Main Streets is a two story, brick building housing the Museum of Moab.  It contains Grand County's past - Anthropology, Archaeology, Paleontology, Geology and History; landscapes of Moab are immortalized in paintings along the walls of the Art Gallery.  When you enter, expect to be greeted by Victoria; she is passionate about Moab and the museum itself; she'll gladly answer any questions.  Across from the welcome desk is a small gift shop, but it's packed with books, artwork, collectibles, toys, and Native American wares.

Past the gift shop is the Paleontology Room featuring the bones of a Camarasaurus found south of Moab; ancient coral reef specimens, and fossilized dinosaur eggs.  Just around the corner of the gift shop is the full skeleton of an Ankylosaurus.



Geology, Minerals and the Mining Era come next; beautiful specimens of crystals, a diorama of Moab's typography; story boards detailing the various mines including Charlie Steen's (Moab's Uranium King) "Mi Vida" mine; and the "Atlas Mine" which is still in an ongoing project to remove the tailings (Potash Road - Route 279).

Mining Era
Mi Vida Mine

Atlas Mine

Homestake La Sal Mine - that's my hubby, Roy, helping to
 keep the story boards open.

Moab's history is full with Ranchers, Native Americans, Cowboys, the World Wars; the movie industry has used various areas in Grand County for films and television shows.

Movie Props

Cattle Ranching

The Ute
Native Americans


Stones Used for Jewelry


A section of Mammoth tusk was found, and this is within the Native American display area.

Upstairs is the Art Gallery where many of the paintings have been done by the Moab Pastel Guild.  There's also a room depicting what life was like for the settlers in the early 1900s, and a doctor's office from the 1920s.  From 1933 thru 1942, Civilian Conservation Corps was a public work program which provided work to unemployed unmarried men from relief families - a photo of the Blanding Utah CCC is proudly hung on the Art Gallery wall.
The Art Gallery

Moab Pastel Guild

Blanding Utah CCC - August 8, 1940

The Settlers

1920s Doctor's Office
The Museum of Moab began in 1958 and has outgrown its walls; they are currently asking for donations to achieve the goal of expanding the building.  This is a worthwhile venture, as around every corner there is an exhibit that will interest everyone; drawing out "oohs" and "aahs" from children and adults alike.
Mary Cokenour

No comments:

Post a Comment