Recapture Pocket is an area of badlands near Bluff, Utah; like Goblin Valley, it is a sand filled landscape with hoodoos of all shapes and sizes.
· Location is 54.1 miles from Monticello; travel 45.9 miles along Hwy 191 to the junction of Hwy 162 in Bluff (Cow Canyon Trading Post on SE corner). Start at the Trading Post to be able to get to the 4.9 mile mark, not at the sign that says “Mile 0”. The road to make a left on has 2 names when looking at an area map (CR 2401 and CR 217), there will be a yellow “cow sign” with a “cattle crossing” sign underneath it, make the immediate left. If a 2nd cow and cattle crossing sign are passed, you have gone too far. After the initial left turn, there will be a split 9/10ths of a mile in, take the left hand split and go 4/10ths of a mile. Make a right turn onto CR 249 (Bluff Bench); another split will be reached at 7/10ths of a mile, go left again. Hoodoos (unusual sandstone formations) will be seen, but it will be 1.3 miles before Recapture Pocket itself is reached.
· Admission: Free
· Difficulty: Hiking – Easy; Vehicle: This area is completely desert terrain; 4-wheel drive vehicles will need high clearance due to deep dips on sandy trails and some travel over rocky ground.
· Camping: Yes; pack out what is packed in.
· Facilities: None; nearest town (Bluff) is 8.2 miles.
· Pets: Allowed, owners are expected to clean up after pet (s).
· Caution: Flash flooding will occur over roads during long and/or torrential rainstorms; once water recedes, sandy trails will be extremely muddy.
Post a Comment